Awakening: Leading into Zeitgeist

After my nightly hobby was gone. I was devastated. I lost my identity. Online poker was not only my main hobby, but it was pretty much my only hobby. It is what I spent the majority, if not all, of my free time on.

Online poker was my first major hobby after baseball. I have mentioned some of my baseball experience in previous posts, but I want to give a quick summary on that…

From the time I was 5 years old, I was enthralled with baseball. Like poker, I was pretty good. From the time I was 6 years old, all the way through high school, there was never an all-star team I did not make. I am not going to say that I was the best player to ever live, but I was a stand-out in my own right.

I would be lying if I said I didn’t at one time believe that my career would be in Major League Baseball. I bought into the hype. I watched that dream crash as I entered my college years and experienced arm problems as a pitcher well into the first year with the Division I team I played for.

It would only get worse in my second year of college and I would need to have surgery. Needless to say, I played out my college career. Yet I was never the same.

So here I was, in my low thirties. The two major hobbies I had held in my life, both of which I had aspirations of making a career of, were taken from me due to unforeseen issues. Things out of my control.

If these outside influences hadn’t occurred, would I have reached the pinnacle that I had sought after? I am not sure, maybe not. But I will never know and that fact still pains me inside to this day. The question of what could have been.

So I was in search of a new hobby. Part of my most recent hobby at the time, poker, was just the process of research and learning. So I kept at it. Just the topics that I researched changed.

During my online poker career, I learned more about statistics and mathematics than I had ever learned through my time in High School Honors Math or College. I also learned how to create websites due in part to creating a blog centered around my poker playing. That poker blog also shares the domain with this blog many years later.

This website right here was created by me. Most of it still not completed. What was once just me not completing the job remains so as a metaphor for me: it is a work in progress. I have actually come to like the unfinished, unpolished look.

Between this blog and the old, I had created a few other websites and made a business out of one. I even took the knowledge I had and advanced it to the point where I created a mobile app for that business. I sold off that business just prior to restarting this blog and not knowing what I was going to do next.

That is just one aspect of my learning though. Another aspect was a search for the truth. I had a lot of extra time on my hands, especially after poker was gone for me. I filled that time looking into anything that just didn’t sit right with me.

I still remember 9/11 like it was yesterday and to this day, I do not believe the official story that our government tells us. Do I know what happened? NO. I would be lying if I said I did.

The report from our government doesn’t even mention the fact that there was a third building to fall in NYC the day of 9/11. You would think that a 50+ story building falling on that day would at least be mentioned, but yet it is not.

There are many “conspiracy theories” out there about 9/11. I know of the vast majority. I think 90% of them are complete BS. But what if the remaining 10% are even halfway true? It would be pretty consequential.

During this time, I came across a documentary. One that really made me question my reality. It was called Zeitgeist:

The above video is that documentary, Zeitgeist. Though the beginning does look slightly different than I remember. The link I shared starts it at the 13 minute mark. I am not sure if it will remain up on YouTube. So if it doesn’t work at the time you are reading this, I would definitely search for it. Make sure it is the original one as sequels were added that I am not too fond of.

I didn’t watch it just now, and I haven’t watched it for at least 5 years. But I will share my summary of that above video from my experience many years ago:

Part 1- It really made me question religion. I grew up catholic and I had uncertainties about spirituality at the time. Though I do not feel I ever truly abandoned god, this movie made me want to drop religion more than ever.

Part 2- It was an amazing synopsis of 9/11. This is what I most remember about this documentary. It was one of the best documentaries on 9/11 I had seen up to that time.

Part 3- Ok, getting a little on to the deep end. So elites want to inject us with tracking devices? Huh, ok.

That was the short gist of it for me when I first watched this documentary. Things have changed since then. Most notably, I found god again and I might even say I am more spiritual than ever before. More on that later.